Ah... it's Art Fair again. And Bivouac at the Art Fair is a very very special time of year. As I did two summers ago, I brought it baked treats for all my co-workers every day that I worked. And as Wednesday was the first day of art fair, I brought in TWO treats; more specifically, butterscotch treats. If anyone was wondering (but I bet you weren't) the reason for the double butterscotch is because my dear friend, and co-worker, loves anything butterscotch in it. Alas, almost every time I bake it never has butterscotch in it. This time I had Kirk in mind as I made two butterscotch treats: Marshmallow Blondies and Triple Chip Cookies. While I did some inventing on the cookies, I got the blondie recipe from this blogger.
First Up: Marshmallow Blondies
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butterscotch chips and butter, stirring constantly until smooth. As soon as the they butter and chips are melted remove from heat and transfer the contents of the pan to a mixing bowl (Be sure not to over heat the butter and butterscotch chips or they will separate and appear curdled.)
- Cool the mixture to room temperature. Using an electric mixer, beat the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and eggs into the butter and butterscotch mixture.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks and marshmallows. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared ban. Bake for 30 minutes. The center will feel a little soft, but will firm while cooling.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Second Up: Triple Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch (SECRET INGREDIENT!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips
- 3 oz white chocolate chips
- 4 oz butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using a fork, beat together the butter and the sugars until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and beat until well combined. Add vanilla (and again) beat until well combined.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly stir into wet mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Drop by tablespoons onto a greased baking lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.