I had a bunch of apples sitting around from my trip to the farmers market last Saturday. I bought (and used in this applesauce) Empire Apples. The reason? They are a good apple for eating & for cooking with, and when I bought the apples I wasn't totally sure what I wanted to use them for. If you've never had homemade applesauce and own a crockpot, I really recommend you try making this. You can either have your crockpot on high for 4 hours (what I did) or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- 1 peck of apples (about 10 to 12 apples)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- dash of nutmeg
- 2 TBPS (more or less to taste) of ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- a dash of salt
- Peel and core the apples, cut into quarter inch slices. Put in crockpot.
- Pour sugar, water, apple cider, and spices over top of the apples and combine with a spoon.
- Let cook for desired amount of time (3-4 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low).
- After done cooking, mash with a potato masher if you want to have a "chunkier" texture or mash the apples, wait for them to cool, and puree in your food processor or blender (I just did this).