Last night I went over to the boy's of 505 house and made THREE different types of christmas cookies. These russian snowballs are easy to make (very few ingredients) but it was really beneficial to have a food processor to finely chop up the almonds - I can't even image doing that by hand.... These cookies have a nice little "crunch" on the outside but are SO smooth and buttery on the inside - flecked with bits of almonds... mmm. This would make a great addition to any holiday cookie platter because they don't take long to make and only use one bowl.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans
- Heat oven to 350. Mix thoroughly butter, sugar and vanilla. Work in flour, salt and nuts until dough holds together. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set, but not brown. While warm, roll in confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.