As a side note, I have been requested to give a shout out to John Truesdell ('The Trues') & Sam Giraud (Mono-Ped). So, HOLLA Trues & Mono-Ped.
Homemade Caramel Delights
Adapted by Once Upon a Plate
Ingredients for Cookie Base:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- up to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt at a low speed, next, the vanilla and milk, adding in the milk only as needed to make the dough come together without being sticky (you may not need any at all). The dough should come together into a soft, pliable ball. Add in a bit of extra flour if your dough seems sticky.
- It's easiest to roll the dough out in 2 or 3 batches (between pieces of wax (or parchment) paper to about 1/4-inch thickness (or a little thinner) using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter to make rounds. Place on a parchment lined (or on silicone mat) baking sheet and make a hole in the center. I used the small end of a large round piping tip. Nicole comments that you can use a knife, or the end of a wide straw, to cut a smaller center hole. Repeat until the dough is used up (it's okay to re-roll, this dough is shortbread-like and very forgiving.)
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until bottoms are very lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, to allow them to firm up slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Ingredients for Topping:
- 3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 12-ounces good-quality chewy caramels
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate (chocolate chips will do)
- If you prefer milk chocolate, by all means use that. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (F) Spread coconut evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and toast 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until coconut is golden. Watch carefully, especially near the end of toasting time; the coconut toasts very quickly once it begins to become golden.
- Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside. Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a spatula. Using the spatula or a small offset spatula, spread topping on cooled cookies, using about 2-3 teaspoons per cookie. Reheat caramel for a few seconds in the microwave if it begins to firm up, to make it soft and spreadable once again.
- While topping sets up, melt chocolate in a small bowl. Melt the chocolate using the double boiled method. Dip the base of each cookie into the chocolate and place on a clean piece of parchment paper. Use a spoon to drizzle on remaining chocolate (you may need to melt more).
- Let chocolate set completely before storing in an airtight container.