Two weeks ago I made the dinner "Middle Eastern/Greek" themed. I made my tried and true Spanakopita recipe, but I thought they might want something else - Hummus and chips. I'm always so shocked when people try homemade hummus for the first time (it's always so much better) and then when I told them how easy it is, they are even more shocked. I also felt that it would be appropriate to dip homemade chips in my homemade hummus. The chips were so easy to make and it made a pretty large batch - enough to feed my friends and co-workers when I brought them into The Environment Report the next day.
- 22 oz chickpeas, canned
- 1 cup tahini paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning, to serve (optional)
- In a large bowl, add the tahini paste, water and lemon juice and mix well until it forms a uniform paste. Add the minced garlic to it and mix it well.
- Now add the chickpea paste to the tahini sauce a little at a time, making sure everything gets incorporated evenly.
- In a plate, spoon the hummus and create a canal with the back of the spoon to hold the olive oil, as seen in the photograph.
- Sprinkle with sumac and serve with crackers.
Olive Oil Crackers
Adapted from: The Purple Foodie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper (I used a mix of black, white and pink!)
- Sea salt to taste
- Coarse sea salt for garnish (I used pink Himalayan salt)
- More olive oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a Kitchen Aid add the flour baking powder, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes until it all comes together.
- Make walnut sized balls and roll them out as thinly as you can into long, oval shapes.
- Place the rolled out crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the crackers are golden brown in color (I had to bake mine for about 10 minutes - but that's because my oven is kinda finicky)
- Serve with the hummus!