Layered To Devour.
This recipe technically consists of three recipes, but it is so worth it. Imagine... mint chocolate chip ice cream but in a brownie form. Thought such magical things didn't exist? Well, they do! And let me lead you down a path of enlightenment towards grasshopper brownies!
Ingredients for Brownie Layer:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for Mint Ganache Layer:
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz fine-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 2.5 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring (optional)
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache Layer:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), finely chopped
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt the butter in a microwave in 30 second increments on full power until butter is fully melted. Transfer melted butter to a large bowl and beat in sugar with a fork until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined, then beat in vanilla extract.
- Beat/Stir in cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan...and give the batter bowl and spatula to a loyal follower and allow them to lick them bowl. They'll be so generous they'll repay you somehow later.
- Bake for about 27 minutes. Let the brownies cool on the counter for approx an hour, then put them in the freeze so they can 'firm up'
Mint Ganache Assembly:
Bring cream to a simmer in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan and remove from heat. Pour over white chocolate in a bowl. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract (and some green food coloring if you want it to look 'minty') and chill, covered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 1 hour.
Chocolate Ganache Assembly:
Bring cream to a simmer in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan and remove from heat. Pour over bittersweet chocolate in a bowl. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Chill, covered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 30 minutes.
Now.... ASSEMBLE THE LAYERS!
Spread mint ganache over top of cooled brownie in a thin even layer using offset spatula, then chill until firm but still slightly sticky, about 30 minutes.
Spread chocolate ganache over mint and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into squares and sucumb to the magic of mint and chocolate.