I promised to post this recipe a few days ago... oops. Here is the recipe for Apple Crisp. As I mentioned earlier, this past week I couldn't decide between making apple crisp and apple pie... so I just made both! I have had and used this recipe forever - it's been a staple in my 'fall recipe' collection for years. This is a relatively easy dish to make - the the only real labor intensive this about it is waiting the 45 minutes for it to get out of the oven!
- 4 Apples, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A dash or two of nutmeg and apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the cut apples in an ungreased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with the white sugar.
- Mix together the topping ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Distribute the mixture over the top of the apples, and pat it firmly in place.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is crisp and lightly browned and the fruit/juice is bubbling around the edges. I recommend serving this hot, but it tastes just as yummy at room temperature.