Today was the first Les Voyageurs potluck of the season. Not only does this mean that there were a bunch of new faces down at the cabin, but there were a LOT more mouths to feed. Hence, I needed to make a substantial amount of food without breaking the bank or my back cooking all day in the kitchen. This recipe was quite easy to make... but you need to make sure that you use VERY good ingredients because there are so few in the recipe. I recommend Trader Joe's organic Chickpeas - they are nice and meaty and are never mealy. Also (as I have mentioned before) use Greek Olive Oil - it has a much richer flavor. The manchego cheese is a nice soft cheese, but it is hard to find and isn't inexpensive - so if you must you can substitute parmesan for manchego.
Adapted from Orangette
- 3 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons best quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onions
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup loosely packed shredded manchego cheese
- big pinch kosher salt, plus more to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir gently to mix. Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately, or chill, covered, until serving.