Well, it's safe to say I was in a cookie and sugar induced coma for a majority of the holidays. It's just so hard not to eat all the delicious cookies lying around - especially when I made most of them and had to taste the batter! It's almost 2010 and this soup is perfect to, ahem, cleanse them system. This soup is high in fiber and protein while being low in fat. The main contributor to calories in this soup is the beans, which really isn't that much. I also need to prove to you all that I do a lot more than just bake... I do cook a lot just most of the time I don't have time to take a picture. Most of the time I just throw stuff in a pot and pan, throw some ingredients in, and produce something that I love... but have no idea what I actually used for ingredients. Make this for dinner tomorrow night and start the new year off right!
Black Bean Soup
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-14 oz cans of black beans, rinsed & drained, (divided)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, both peppers, carrots, and celery. Saute until slightly tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock, seasonings, and half of the beans. Simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours. Remove bay leaf and blend using an immersion blender (or blend in 2 additions in a blender).
- Add the reminder of the beans.. Bring to a boil to thicken the soup. Taste and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
Side Note: This soup tastes really good, if not better, reheated in the microwave the next day. It seemed to get much thicker.