Has anyone out there lived in Michigan? Yes? No? Either way, you should know that the weather in Michigan is NEVER constant. For example, on Thursday it was 80 degrees out and I took a nap in the grass. Today it's freezing, I'm wearing a down jacket and we had to turn the heat back on. And that's a pretty sane example of Michigan weather. I've had it be warm and sunny, rain and snow all in the same day - frequently within a few hours.
Earlier this week it was really cold and I wanted something warm… but easy. Cut to the crackpot - a lazy chef's mecca. Literally all you have to do is throw all the ingredients in a crockpot, turn it on and walk away. In that time I wasn't cooking, I wrote two full-length papers TWO weeks before they were due.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- A few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook for about 3 hours on High.