- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium-sized bell pepper, diced
- 1 TBSP fresh basil
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1-lb. 13oz can of whole tomatoes
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 TBSP honey
- lots and lots of fresh ground pepper
- 6 LARGE cloves of garlic, minced
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven. Add onion, bell pepper, herbs, and salt and saute over medium heat until the onion is quite soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, and black pepper. Break up the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 30 minutes
- Add garlic and cook about 10 minutes more. Now....just wait.... for the eggplant parmesan!